The Sierra Nevada Research Institute (SNRI) at UC Merced (http://snri.ucmerced.edu) is seeking two full-time researchers in the specialist track.
Recruitment Period through Monday, Jul 29, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Associate Specialist (https://aprecruit.ucmerced.edu/JPF00820; $58,000+ salaried)
The Sierra Nevada Research Institute (SNRI) at UC Merced (http://snri.ucmerced.edu) is seeking a full-time Associate Specialist to organize and contribute to research involving multiple field sites and studies. The candidate will be responsible for installing measurement equipment, sampling, maintaining field resources, and coordinating field measurements by multiple groups. This position will have a central role in assuring that research goals are met, and the data is informative, accurate and concise. The Associate Specialist will also be responsible for supervising undergraduate students and/or research staff.
- Master’s degree in Earth or Environmental Science, Engineering, or related field.
- Strong organizational, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Technical skills to include 3-5 years of experience in data analysis, hydrology or relevant field sampling and instrumentation deployment.
- Record of research and publications in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and carry out relevant year-round research in the Sierra Nevada or other seasonally snow-covered mountain environments.
- Experience with ERSI’s, ArcGIS and spatial data.
- Instrument-tower and tree-climbing experience and safety training.
- Experience and familiarity with ecohydrological field research in the Sierra Nevada.
- River safety and mountain winter safety training, including snowmobile use.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions and may participate in University and Public Service.
Assistant Specialist (https://aprecruit.ucmerced.edu/JPF00836; $51,000-53,000 salaried)
The Sierra Nevada Research Institute (SNRI) at UC Merced (http://snri.ucmerced.edu) is seeking a full-time Assistant Specialist to work with a team at UC Merced and UC Davis to provide field engineering, laboratory and equipment fabrication support for projects assessing quantity and quality of soils, ground and surface water. This position involves both the field-measurement component of the project: i) to install and maintain spatially distributed measurement networks in the basins under study, ii) to analyze, archive and prepare data for hydrologic modeling, and iii) to maintain collaborative, working relationships with operating agencies in the study areas; fabrication of the instruments and data analysis. The field sites are in headwater basins in the Sierra Nevada, so familiarity with working and driving in snowy conditions is required. The goal of the projects is to improve knowledge about the interactions between forest management and water quality and quantity. This position will be located at UC Merced.
- Master’s degree in Hydrology, Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Science or Engineering, or closely related field or two years of equivalent experience; two years of experience in hydrology or related filed sampling and instrument deployment.
- Ability to work with general guidance from principal investigator and collaborators.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment and interact with a broad range of colleagues.
- Two years of experience in data analysis with programming and graphing ability (e.g. python, R).
- Familiarity in working in snowy conditions.
- Occasional weekends and evenings.
- Experience with ESRI’s Arc GIS and spatial data analysis.
- Experience with datalogger platforms strongly preferred.
To apply, submit required documents and references to the UC Merced recruitment site or use job links above.
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Research (not required for Assistant Specialist position)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)