The Brender Demonstration Forest also known as the Hitchiti Experimental Forest occupies 4,735 acres of land in Jones County, Georgia about 18 miles northeast of Macon. It lies on the east bank of the Ocmulgee River in the lower piedmont. The areas first known inhabitants were the Hitchiti Indians. They used fire to clear land for planting and to herd game animals during hunts. Through time, timber and cotton were the area's primary crops early in the twentieth century. However, the heyday for cotton was short-lived when the boll weevil and an agricultural depression struck. In 1946 the Federal Government established the Hitchiti Experimental Forest that now makes up the Brender Demonstration Forest. Today the Forest is an active research facility of the U.S. Forest Service Southern Research Station.
For more information, click here.