The Dukes Experimental Forest was established in 1926 and is located about 25 km southeast of Marquette, Michigan. A small amount of white pine and elm was logged during the early 1900s. The remaining forest is essentially old growth today. In 1974, a research natural area (94 ha) was established within the forest’s boundaries. The Dukes was administered by the Marquette field office until it closed in 1981. It is currently administered by the Northern Research Station’s Laboratory in Grand Rapids, Minnesota.