In 1934, the Crossett Experimental Forest was established about 11 km south of the town of Crossett in Ashley County, Arkansas, from a donation of 680 ha of land by the Crossett Lumber Company (now Georgia-Pacific Corporation) to the Southern Forest Experiment Station (now the Southern Research Station). The Crossett Research Center was the first USDA Forest Service branch research station in the South. Previously, all field research had been conducted from station headquarters in New Orleans, LA.
Research on forest management in second-growth loblolly and shortleaf pine stands was to be conducted and demonstrated to forest managers and landowners throughout the South. During the following six decades, Forest Service researchers associated with the Crossett have published more than 1,000 articles on forest management and silviculture. More than 45,000 foresters, students, landowners, and university staff have visited the Experimental Forest and benefited from its research.
Currently, the forest is managed by the Southern Research Station's unit in Monticello, Arkansas, and is affiliated administratively with the Jessieville and Winona Ranger District of the Ouachita National Forest.