Positions Open: Postdocs in Critical Zone Science (Immediate openings available) We seek several postdoctoral scholars to work at the Shale Hills Critical Zone Observatory (CZO). A PhD in a relevant area is required. The applicants should have interest in one or more of the following areas:
1. Geomorphology: The mechanics of hillslope and channel sediment transport and
their role in the evolution of regolith (synthesis and modeling).
2. Geochemistry/soil science: Field/computational aspects of weathering, solute transport, or carbon cycling.
3. Hydrogeochemistry/hydrology: Experimental/computational aspects of
environmental tracers and “age of water” simulations using solutes and isotopes. GIS
and programming experience preferred.
4. Computational Hydrology: Interest in experimental/computational aspects of
fully coupled, physics-based watershed modeling. GIS and C/C++ programming
5. Ecohydrology/Physiological Ecology: Synthesis of ecohydrological measurements, including sapflow and whole-tree water use.
6. Hydropedology: Experimental and theoretical aspects of hydropedology and
hillslope/catchment hydrology, with an emphasis on synthesis and modeling of subsurface preferential flow networks and soil moisture patterns.
7. Hydrogeophysics: Discriminating flow and transport processes in porous and
fractured media with electrical and electromagnetic geophysical methods, including coupled modeling.
The focus of this multidisciplinary NSF-funded research effort is to quantitatively predict
the creation, evolution, and structure of regolith as a function of geochemical, hydrologic,
pedologic, biologic, and geomorphologic processes. All positions will be filled during 2012-2013. For more information about the Observatory contact: Professor Sue Brantley (firstname.lastname@example.org). Interested candidates should write to any faculty member at the CZO (www.czo.psu.edu) – in the application please copy Susan Brantley (email@example.com) and Jennifer Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org). In the application, please include the following:
1) cover letter describing experience and research interests2) CV
3) names of 3-4 references whom we may contact
Penn State is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the diversity of its workforce.