Stable Isotope Specialist-Purdue University. (Job Number: 1700087)
Purdue University is currently searching for an experienced individual familiar with isotope ratio mass spectrometry for a full time position. The person chosen for the position will be, along with existing lab managerial staff, responsible for the operation and maintenance of four gas source isotope ratio mass spectrometers including peripherals such as a gas chromatographic system, an elemental analyzer, dissolved carbon analyzer, and a thermo-chemical pyrolysis elemental analyzer, and two laser spectroscopy isotope analyzers.
These instruments and the associated laboratory is operated as a research and recharge facility within the Purdue Stable Isotope (PSI) Research Lab housed within the Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences (https://www.eaps.purdue.edu/psi/index.html). This facility primarily supports the research of professors Tim Filley, Greg Michalski, and Lisa Welp. The successful applicant will work with faculty, graduate students, and postdocs. The successful applicant must have 2+ years of hands on experience with stable isotope instrumentation and experience supervising student lab assistants. The successful applicant will assist users of these instruments, conduct routine functions in support of lab quality assurance efforts, coordinate the daily operation of the facility, coordinate and analyze samples. The successful applicant will also maintain and evaluate data for internal and external collaborators and develop and implement standard methods for data standardization and reduction.
Bachelor’s degree in science in the fields of earth science, ecology, chemistry, or environmental science is required.
- A Master’s or Ph.D. in the fields of earth science, ecology, chemistry, or environmental science with an emphasis on stable isotope measurements is preferred.
- A minimum of at least 2 years of isotope measurement and data analysis experience required.
- Experience with quantitative data analysis and management skills, fluency with PC operating systems and preferably with database software such as Microsoft Access. Strong organizational and communication skills to report analysis and operation findings.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience in the operation and maintenance of gas source isotope ratio mass spectrometers with peripherals that include a gas chromatographic system and an elemental analyzer.
- Interpersonal and management leadership skills to help maintain a positive working environment with students, faculty and staff is required.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Purdue will not sponsor an employment related visa for this position.
- A background check will be required for employment.
- FLSA Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period.
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
For inquiries about the PSI Lab or additional details about the position please contact:
Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences
West Lafayette, IN 47906
Please follow this link: http://purdue.taleo.net/careersection/wl/jobdetail.ftl?job=1700087&lang=en