The Cutfoot Experimental Forest, established in 1932, contains about 1,255 ha. The Sunken Lake Research Natural Area consisting of about 726 ha is contained within it.
The portion of Minnesota Highway 46 that passes through the Cutfoot is called the Avenue of Pines. The Avenue is well known for its scenic beauty and the outstanding pine forest. Most people who drive through the Avenue do not realize that it is one of the most intensively managed red pine forests in northern Minnesota.
Cutfoot contains a large stone memorial with a plaque commemorating Dr. Rafael Zon, who was instrumental in establishing the research branch of the USDA Forest Service and designating the first experimental forests. His ashes were scattered in the area of the memorial.