The Boise Basin Experimental Forest lies on the outskirts of the small town of Idaho City, Idaho. It was established in 1933 to study management of ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa). It consists of 3,540 ha (8,740 acres) and is divided into three units surrounding Idaho City in southern Idaho. Idaho City was a booming mining town in the 1870s and the surrounding forests supplied material to the community. Two units were heavily affected by mining activities and the majority of trees in them now are the results of post-mining regeneration. The third unit, on steeper slopes, has many undisturbed areas (containing large areas of ponderosa pine), including a Research Natural Area.